We have internet! It's currently at dialup speed, basically, and I don't have high hopes of loading many photos, but I thought I'd get back in the blogging swing of things with this tag taken from Lena's blog. It's beauty-related, so there.
1. Is your hair naturally curly or straight?
Straight, but not super straight – I would say Type 1b.
2. What is your natural hair colour?
Very dark brown.
3. Do you dye it yourself or go to a salon?
I last got it dyed about two months ago, when I was in Wellington for a wedding and found a deal online. I asked for a cool brown but, curse be to the hair colour gods, it came out with a reddish tinge. Of course. Prior to that, I hadn’t dyed it for years. So many white hairs!
4. How often do you wash your hair?
Basically every day. Sometimes I stretch it out to two days, but that’s only if I don’t have anywhere to be, or if I’m sick. I’ve attempted the no-poo and low-poo thing a handful of times in the past, but it just doesn’t work – see answer to Q1.
5. Do you wear the same style every day or change it?
I wear it down 95% of the time, and I like as much volume as I can put in it in a short space of time. I’m a volumising product junkie.
6. Do you do your own mani/pedi or go to a salon?
I do my own – going to a salon is a bit of a treat at NZ prices. It looks to be similar here in the UK.
7. How often do you change your nail polish?
I probably paint my nails twice a month. I would do it more, but, well, lazy.
8. Do you polish your toes in the winter, too, or just in the summer?
Occasionally, when the mood strikes. It's not season specific.
9. How long does it take to put on your makeup?
For the basics, probably about ten minutes.
10. What do you do first? Face or eyes?
Face – I don’t wear a lot of eye makeup, and I find that evening out the base is often enough for me on a daily basis.
11. Do you “collect” makeup or just buy what you need when you need it?
I’m on the “collector” end of the spectrum. Sometimes I just can’t resist the shiny pretty new things!
12. How often do you wear false eyelashes?
I think I’ve worn them twice! I’ve also gotten lash extensions a couple of times, and they’re great, but I wouldn’t ever get them continuously.
13. Do you do a full face of makeup every day?
No, it’s typically just base and mascara, plus some bronzer/blush and basic contouring and/or lining on the eyes. I haven’t been working for a while, and makeup is a weird thing in an academic environment – see Auxiliary Beauty and The Painted Rogue’s posts about it; they’ve put it better than I ever could.
14. Do you wear makeup when you are home alone (or with family)?
Only if it’s leftover from the day, or a night out!
15. Will you leave the house without makeup?
All the time. Never without some moisturizer with some SPF, though.
16. How many high end products do you have?
I started counting and stopped at 40 because it’s too scary to contemplate.
I’m trying to console myself that the vast majority of it is bought on sale with deals, gifts with purchases and the like.
17. How often do you wash your makeup brushes?
Not as often as I should. I spot clean with isopropyl alcohol a few times a week, and actually wash them probably… every few weeks? Oh god.
18. Do you plan your OOTD every night or decide when you are getting dressed?
I decide when I’m getting dressed, but it’s not hard because my wardrobe is pretty small, and I wear a lot of black. It’s currently really small, because I didn’t bring a lot with me. Before I left New Zealand I didn’t go shopping for months because I was saving all my savings for the UK, and I’ve only bought a handful of things since I’ve been here.
19. How often do you change your handbag?
I just bought a new one! Prior to that, I bought my Saben Big Tilly about a year and a half ago. Before that I’d used a Country Road satchel for about three years. All three have been black bags. I used to wear colour…
20. What time do you get up and go to sleep?
At the moment I get to bed around 10 or 11, and wake up around 8am. Ahh, the unemployed life. I go through periods of insomnia, and still wake up 3-4 times a night.
21. How often and when do you work out?
Back in New Zealand I was playing indoor netball once a week, and yoga two to three times a week. Weights when the mood struck. Here… let’s just say I haven’t settled into a routine yet. I’ve been doing a lot of walking though! To a car-driving Aucklander, it was a bit of a shock to the system.
22. Left-handed or right-handed?
23. How tall are you?
I think I’m around 165cm.
24. Do you speak a foreign language?
I grew up speaking Mandarin Chinese at home, and learnt a bit of French at high school. I can read it much better than I can understand it when spoken, which is probably normal if you’ve not been immersed in it.
25. How many pets do you have?
None. My family has a Shiba Inu named Ninja at home, and I miss him a lot. I also did a lot of house- and pet-sitting in the year before I came here. It was awesome.
26. How often are you on Blogger?
I take this to mean reading blogs. Facebook and blog reading is probably my biggest time suck when I’m on the internet… well, when it’s working, anyway.
27. Do you keep a list of products to try as you see other posts?
Do you even have to ask? It’s only recently been a list on my phone, though. Previously it was just in my head.
28. How did you come up with your blog name?
I don’t even know. The “XXX and XXX” format is probably subconsciously inspired by all the other blogs named that way, and I was kind of thinking along the lines of the tools that are involved in makeup. Weapons of the trade, something like that.
29. What kind of camera do you use for photographs?
I was using Will’s Canon 300D, because I’d given my 20D to him when he left last year. Lens-wise, I mostly use a Canon 50mm f/1.8, or the Sigma 24mm f/2.8 (it’s actually a fixed aperture macro lens, but better than the 50mm when I want something that will actually focus on something at arm’s length).
30. What is your favorite beauty/fashion magazine?
It’s not strictly a beauty/fashion magazine, but I really like The Gentlewoman, even though I haven’t bought the past couple of issues.
I love magazines. They’re not all created equal, of course – I can be picky. Ones I like include Frankie (Aus), Fashion Quarterly (NZ), Lula (UK), The New Yorker, Elle (UK and Aus), Harper’s Bazaar (UK and Aus), Monocle (UK), Nylon (US), and Smith Journal (Frankie’s brother publication). Generally speaking I prefer the non-US versions of magazines.